JoinPD is a platform powered by Pear Deck. It is supported by both the teachers and the students to keep transparency. They can create a presentation using joinPD.
It is a tool that allows teachers and students to connect for online classes. They can attend live presentations and sessions. Teachers’ responsibility is to create an online meeting and then send a link to all of their students. Students and teachers can access it through its official website www.joinpd.com. You can use some of the resources and tools for free, or you can pay for a premium account to get more of them.
Pear Deck is a presentation tool with a unique presentation design. It allows you to create attractive, interactive presentations that are easy to navigate and share. In this tool teacher’s responsibility is to create an online session to present his lecture slides and then send links to his respective students so they can join the meeting. Pear Deck fosters a positive learning mindset in students.
If you have not used the pear deck ever or are not familiar with it, you do not have to worry. This article will guide you completely.
What is JoinPD?
Joinpd is the subdomain of the pear deck. Join PD is an excellent platform for students that creates learning opportunities. All you have to do is to go to their official website and create an account.
Your teacher will share the class link or you can enter the class if you have the class code. Once you have entered the online class you can enjoy the pear deck sessions and learn new things.
Additionally, presentations are conducted in every college and university. Join PD is becoming very popular in institutions. It allows you to ask and answer questions in real-time. You can ask and share questions through it. There are no time restrictions you can use it whenever you want.
Who can use the Pear Deck account?
Anyone with an account or a class code or a link can use Pear Deck. We have listed a few categories of people who can use Pear deck.
- TeachersTeachers need to have an account to interact with their students. The teacher’s responsibility includes making an online session and then sending links to all of his students. The teacher can also see and share the progress of each student.
- StudentsStudents should look through their emails and see for the link their Instructor has forwarded them. They can also join using 5 digit code if known. Students can learn in a healthy environment by interacting with their teachers.
- Business administrators and people working in offices can use this tool for making project presentation slides. You can be an admin and then send links to all of your clients. Once they all are in the meeting start presenting your project.
- Consultants, Journalists, and LibrariansConsultants, Journalists, and Librarians can use the pear deck to communicate with people. Journalists can attend sessions on figures and make notes out of them.
Devices That can run JoinPD
The devices that the pear deck supports are listed in the following.
- Laptops and desktops
- Android Phones
- Android Tablets
- iPhone and iPads
You would not be able to edit Pear Deck Slides on an iPhone, iPad, or another mobile device because Google Slides Add-ons, such as Pear Deck, are only supported on computers. Although you can join and crest sessions using all devices.
Supported Web Browsers
You can open the JoinPD website smoothly on any browser like Chrome, Safari, Mozzarella Firefox, and Edge except Internet Explorer.
Pear Deck can not be used with internet explorer or older versions of any browser. You can run the sessions on all kinds of devices and operating systems including windows, mac, and Linux.
If you do not have a browser to open and run joinpd you can download it very easily, it is free and takes only a few minutes.
Features and tools available on Free and Premium accounts
Basically, Pear Deck comes with three packages listed below.
This is the most widely used pear deck package. The free package has the main feature of creating a class for lessons, integration between Google and Microsoft, and creation of templates. It also offers access to the flashcard factory. These free features are enough for students to use to present and attend sessions and presentations.
Pear deck offers subscriptions to its users in order to enjoy more tools and features. Premium mode consists of all features that are free plus some additional features such as you can highlight responses by names or adding audio to the slides. This audio feature is helpful for the teachers because they can quickly post notes on the slides.
If you have premium access and you select a student-paced activity the dashboard view appears where you can see students who have submitted their work. You can also share students’ progress with their someone and much more. Subscription costs around $149.99 per year.
Personalized pricing for districts and schools
Joinpd offers personalized features to schools and institutions which include all the features of free and premium modes in addition to training, efficacy reports, and integrations of the LMS with Schoology and Canvas.
How to create a Joinpd account?
It is very easy to join the pear deck. To create your pear deck account successfully, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- Visit the pear deck official website by typing www.joinpd.com on the browser. After entering the URL please click sign up as a teacher.
- Then you will be beseeched to set up your account.
- Just click authorize to proceed.
- After that, select storage where you want to save your data, it can either be your google drive account or it can be one drive. You can simply do this by logging into your Gmail account. although, google drive is mostly used.
- Next, you have to answer a few account-related questions. The data has no access to the people who choose students.
- Click agree where it requires permission.
- Then, you have to enter your school’s postal code. You can also search for your school or institution name in the search bar. Enter any five digits if you did not get your school name in the drop-down list or you do not have a postal code. Click submit button to proceed.
- You are now ready to attend online presentations and sessions.
Steps on joining Pear deck class
Now follow these simple steps to join the pear deck class:
- Firstly go to joinpd website and log in to your peardeck account.
- At their website enter five character Pear deck code from your session.
- You can also join if you have a link to an ongoing session. Check your email or any message your instructor has shared about the session.
- The session code expires after a week.
- You can join the session anonymously by using an avatar, an email address, and a password for a Google or Microsoft Office 365 account.
- The Dashboard view opens multiple options if you have premium access.
- By clicking the join code in the top right corner of the screen at any time, you can get directions to join.
- Hit the red button to join.
You will be in student view when you join a session. You can see the slides presented by your teacher and you can ask any question or respond to questions asked by your teachers.
Steps for joining the class session through the link and code
Follow the steps to join an online presentation or session through a link or code:
- Open the pear deck login page and sign in with your login preferences
- Check your teachers’ email or contact to get the session link.
- Click on the invitation link.
- You can use open it in any browser.
Chrome is considered the best suited to join the pear deck meeting, you can also use other browsers.
Joining session with Pear deck join code
You can also use a code to join sessions and online presentations re-created by teachers. Please follow the steps mentioned below to attend the session through join codes.
- Go to peardeck log in and sign in to your account.
- The website will ask for the access code to join the class.
- You have to enter 5 digit joinpd.com code.
- After that, click join and you will enter the session.
Guide for entering with email or anonymously
Joinpd has fantastic tools for teachers who want to create engaging presentations for their students and make learning enjoyable. It provides a number of tools for creating educational content in the form of slideshows. The great thing is that it works as an add-on for Google Slides, so users do not have to install it separately.
While allowing students to join the live session teachers do have two options either they can let students join through their email and passwords or they can let them join anonymously. Teachers can change the login settings anytime by going through the settings. Similarly, students can join by login link or by entering a code. You can also use the joinpd.com hack to enjoy more features that are not available on the simple pear deck website.
If teachers choose a setting where students require to enter their emails and passwords in order to join the class sessions, It could be quite useful for a teacher. Because teachers can keep tabs on their attendance and it would keep trolls out of the session.
Steps to Enter Through Email
Follow the steps mentioned below if you are a teacher and want your students to log in with their emails.
- Go to the browser and search for an official website of joinpd and after login simply go to the Home page.
- Go to the personal profile icon and click it.
- After that, go to my account.
- Then click settings.
- After settings are opened, scroll down the page and find the “ Require Students Login” section.
- Change it to ON and select the account type whether google or Microsoft office account you want your students to log in with.
If you have followed the above steps successfully then respective students would not be able to join without their emails. Similarly, If you want students to join anonymously then you can follow the same steps mentioned above and just select OFF in the “ Require Students Login “ section.
Once you have done this setting students can join without emails. They can use avatars and nicknames, their real names can not be seen.
How to create Pear Deck on Google Classroom
You can incorporate the magic of the pear deck’s innovative reviews and interactive queries into your presentations with the help of the pear deck for Google Slides add-on.
- First and foremost, you have to login into your account and then start your pear deck lesson.
- Begin the Dash.
- Open the dashboard and kindly press the blue roster button in the top right corner of the screen.
- After that, please click on invite your class in the roster.
- Select the google classroom section you would like to invite.
- As students join, their names are highlighted.
How to install pear deck for google slides add-on in google domain
Follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Open the google admin console.
- Choose applications.
- Choose google workspace marketplace apps.
- Select add an application to the domain install list.
- Search the pear deck for google slides Add-on and choose it, in the google workspace marketplace.
- Click install domain.
- Follow the prompt for the domain-wide installation, and then allow the pear deck for the google slides add-on to have access to data.
- Refresh your google workspace marketplace page. You can now have a look at that domain installation is completed.
- In Google Slides, teachers can now access the pear deck sidebar.
Please be aware that the pear deck may not appear in every user’s Google Slide menu for up to 24 hours.
Permissions for add-ons in the G suite marketplace.
If you want to add Pear deck add-ons for yourselves instead of getting them automatically installed please follow the steps mentioned below.
- Firstly you need to be signed in with an administrator account otherwise you will not have permission to do these steps.
- In the console press Menu
- Go to Applications > Google workspace > Drive and Docs.
- Press Features and Apps.
- After that Press Add-Ons.
- Check from the add-ons store box and then allow users to install google docs add-ons.
- After doing that press Save.
How to create and present Slides with Peak Deck?
Simply create the slides that you want to show your students using Google Slides. Then, add interactive elements to each slide by using the menu in the sidebar. The plus point here is that you can turn any of your slides into interactive slides.
You can either enter a text or a number. You can add multiple-choice questions and interact with live website pages. You can also draw responses and specifically drag an icon to slide but you need a premium membership to use this feature.
Once you are done making your slides, you can present your slides. You can use a lot of features while presenting. You can go to the previous or next slide or view them with the slide navigator. You can lock or unlock any slide. You can open the teacher’s dashboard in the next window. You can also make your slides full-screen while presenting.
Ideas for online sessions.
Here are some of the ideas which you can apply to your class. Please have a look at them.
- Ask students about the topic you are going to be covering in a class by adding a question at the beginning of your slides. So that you will have a rough estimate of what they already know or what they do not know about that topic.
- Make a mind map to represent the information you’ve been covering in your class. This will help students to understand specifically what they are studying.
- At the end of the lesson, try to add an additional slide and explain in your own words what you have covered in class.
- Instead of telling them all the answers try to ask them questions and know about their thinking process. In this way, they will also try to behave actively in class.
- You can add different sequential things in your slides and then ask students to arrange them in the correct order.
What is nearpod?
Join nearpod is similar to joinpd where students can engage in different sessions and activities. Teachers can distribute near pods in a number of ways and students can participate from any device.
Both the pear deck and nearpod allow users to set up content to teach and test their students. Nearpod’s yearly subscription is cheaper than that of pear deck. Still, they both have enough features in the free package that a basic user needs.
Pros and Cons
While there are many benefits of joinpd for both students and their teachers, there are also some drawbacks. Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of joinpd.
- It is easy to use.
- It has a free package.
- It is engaging for both students and teachers to interact with each other.
- Teachers are able to modify their existing presentations.
- It can be used remotely to connect with students
- It is user-friendly and easy to understand.
- Export class data to excel.
- It can be challenging for low-level institutes because not every student there can afford a smartphone or a laptop.
- Activities like drawing are difficult to do with smartphones.
- There should be proper checks and balances which is quite challenging. Students may only join sessions but are not available mentally in the class.
- If join codes expire you would not be able to join the session with the same joinpd code.
- Code used to join sessions last no more than a week.
Is Pear Deck free to use?
Pear deck comes with three packages. Anyone can use the free packages, but there are also subscriptions to use more tools. Teachers and institutions can access different features and tools if they have a premium account.
How to join peardeck sessions using code?
Visit the pear deck website and enter a five-digit code provided by your teacher to enter your session.
How Does a pear Deck subscription cost an individual?
Pear Deck cost $149.99 per year to an individual.
Is there any age restriction to use this app?
Pear deck accounts are reserved for educators with a minimum age of 18.
Is it safe to use the pear deck?
Yes, the pear deck is safe to use. Pear deck is user-friendly and is somewhat protected against cyber attacks.
When was Pear Deck found?
Pear deck was co-founded by Riley Eynon-Lynch and Michal Eynon-Lynch in 2015.
Are Nearpod join and pear deck join the same?
Nearpods and pear decks are similar to each other both engage students and teachers to interact with each other. Nearpod has cheaper annual subscriptions than pear decks.
Pear Deck is a very user-friendly and interactive presentation software. It has an excellent learning environment for teachers and students alike. It brings more interesting moments and more interactive activities with the audience. It is designed for both teachers and students to deliver their work online in a very effective way.The teacher can make a session and can share the session code or can send a link to his students via email.
Joinpd is a dynamic and handy tool for making picture-perfect, animated slideshows without burning a hole through your wallet. Presentation is formulated in such a manner that it can be adjusted to the needs of any company or organization. The presentation is rich in artistic detail and certainly not lacking in visual appeal. From design to the user interface, it can be best used for educational purposes.
If you want to make slides for your next college or business presentation, this might be your best option. Overall, It is a great way to switch from traditional education to a modern approach.
- Find your Session.
- Click on the Dashboard icon (with Premium) so you can see the responses with students' names.
- You can also open the Projector View to review responses, but responses are anonymous on that View.
Pear Deck collects your students' responses in real time and saves them automatically in the Session where they were collected. You can show responses to your class on the Projector View, and view them in the private Teacher Dashboard (with Premium) in real time or after you end the Session.How to use JoinPD? ›
Go to joinpd.com. Enter the six-letter Join Code from your Session at joinpd.com. Alternatively, you can post or email the Session link that you get when you click Give Students a Link (see step #1 above) and students can simply click on it to join your Session.Can students see each others answers in Pear Deck? ›
Highlight or hide specific answers from the Projector View
While you can see names in the Dashboard, answers are always displayed anonymously on the Projector view in Pear Deck.
Only the teacher who gave a presentation and collected responses directly from students may see those student names or responses.Are pear decks safe? ›
Security. The terms state Pear Deck is committed to the highest standards of protection for student data and personally identifiable information (“PII”) at all times. Pear Deck's terms state they take reasonable steps to help protect Information against loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure.Is Pear Deck Premium worth it? ›
Overall: Overall Pear Deck is an amazing tool that has revitalized my instruction. Pros: Pear Deck has taken my instruction to a new level. By making presentations interactive and engaging my lessons are much more effective. My students enjoy the interactive elements and engage in the lesson much better.How do I view student responses on Pear Deck? ›
Open a new window and type peardeck.com/dash to open the Dashboard of your latest Session, where you can see individual student responses and control the Projector View privately from your own screen.How many students can join Pear Deck? ›
The free account provides basic interactive questions with unlimited interactive sessions, five free presentation imports, and a maximum of 30 session participants.Can I use Pear Deck without a school? ›
If you created your account with a Microsoft Office 365 email address, you'll need to open PowerPoint Online to access Pear Deck. I don't have a US postal code/ my school is not on the list in the account setup screen. Can I still create a Pear Deck account? Absolutely.
Each Pear Deck Session has three Views: the Projector View, the Student View (which students enter when they join your Session), and the private Teacher Dashboard View. The Dashboard shows students' names next to their responses and helps you review and evaluate their work.Can I edit a Pear Deck presentation? ›
Use the editing tools to add a question, prompt, graph, image, etc. to the main body of the slide. Students will see everything you put on it. Please note that slide animations and videos will only work if you install the Power-up extension.Can students complete a Pear Deck independently? ›
Overview. Pear Deck is often used to engage students in real time. But with Student Paced Mode, you can allow students to join any presentation Session independently and work through your slides at their own pace, on their own time!Can multiple teachers use the same Pear Deck? ›
With the Shared Teacher Dashboard, you can invite co-teachers and certified staff members to your Pear Deck Sessions, giving them full access to your presentation and your students' responses, in real time or after class. It's the perfect way to use Pear Deck in a co-teaching or collaborative team teaching environment.What is the difference between Pear Deck and Nearpod? ›
Overview. Nearpod is a cloud-based student engagement platform that helps teachers, schools, and higher education institutions engage... Pear Deck is a student engagement platform that enables schools to organize synchronous and asynchronous classes for remote...Can a school teacher look through your phone? ›
Can a teacher look at my phone during a search? If a teacher finds a pupil's phone during a search and confiscates it because the school rules allow them to, they are allowed to open the phone and look at data or files if they have a “good reason”.Can a teacher touch your personal belongings? ›
School officials can only search you or your possessions if they have reasonable, individualized suspicion of your involvement in breaking a rule. They may also conduct a search if you voluntarily consent to their doing so.Can teachers look at your personal computer? ›
If you are using the schools WiFi to be online, then yes, everything you do can be monitored. Being a school, monitoring might not be too sophisticated, but potentially, it could.How do you type the Question in Pear Deck? ›
Open the Pear Deck for Google Slides Add-on or PowerPoint Online Add-in. In the sidebar, scroll down to the Ask Students a Question section. Click on the Text option. That's it!Is there a free version of Pear Deck? ›
Pear Deck provides free trainings for all educators, not just those that have Pear Deck subscriptions, including webinars and professional development trainings. Schools and districts also have Customer Success Managers and asynchronous/synchronous trainings available.
Students will join your Pear Deck Session from any device with a web browser. Simply direct your students to www.peardeck.com/join and enter the Session Code. As you advance your slides, students will be prompted to answer your questions and their answers will appear on your teacher dashboard in real time!Where can I find Pear Deck? ›
- Open any PowerPoint Online presentation.
- Click on the Insert tab.
- Click on Add-ins. To see Add-ins, you may need to click on the three-dots menu button or expand the browser window.
- The Office Add-ins menu opens. Find the Pear Deck Add-in and click Add to install it. ...
- Going forward, click on the Home tab.
Pear Deck Slides help you engage every student in every seat and give formative assessments, no matter what grade or subject you teach. Pear Deck supports an interactive and community-focused classroom that helps students build confidence and comprehension.Can you use Pear Deck on a phone? ›
Please note: Google Slides Add-ons, including Pear Deck, are only supported on computers, so you won't be able to edit Pear Deck Slides on an iPhone, iPad, or other mobile device.
The company's fruity name, she adds, is a pun on the “pair” part of “think-pair-share,” a collaborative activity commonly used by teachers in the classroom. Along with classroom experience, Pear Deck's team can also boast about their entrepreneurial chops.How long does a student paced Pear Deck work? ›
How long does a Student-Paced Session stay open/live? It stays live or in Student Paced mode as long as you want it to. However, Sessions that have seen no new student responses for 30 days are automatically archived regardless of their status.Who is the CEO of Pear Deck? ›
Chief Executive Officer, Pear Deck Inc.When did Pear Deck come out? ›
Pear Deck is an educational technology company offering a web-based application to K–12 schools and teachers. Pear Deck was founded in 2014 in Iowa City, Iowa.Who is Pear Deck owned by? ›
Pear Deck was co-founded in 2015 by Riley Eynon-Lynch and Michal Eynon-Lynch to help teachers plan and build interactive lessons directly from Google Drive that promote active learning in the classroom.